Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hard Drive won't appear in windows Gparted screwed me?

I had 3 partitions on my hard drive, 80gb NTFS(Windows XP install)40gb ex2/swap/ex3(ubuntu), and 40gb unallocated(reserved for mac). Well, while in Ubuntu. I tried to format the unallocated area to a fat32 partition using the Gparted GUI built in with Ubuntu. This was my first time, I usually use partition magic. Well I applied the change. There was an error saying the action couldn't be performed. I clicked OK. It shows in Gparted as a fat32 partition that can't be touched now. Windows no longer boots from it's partition. Ubuntu DOES boot just fine. I installed a second hard drive as master and booted to XP on it and was just going to use partition magic and start from clean slate. XP realizes there is a secondary drive, but doesn't show it anywhere. Partition magic only picks up the master drive also. I can't use Gparted AT ALL it won't reformat, resize, or do anything since the error. QTpartition doesn't work. How can I save my drive? I don't mind lost data. It's all backed up.



Hard Drive won't appear in windows Gparted screwed me?shows



--------EDIT----------------------------...



If cfdisk doesn't work and your computer has a floppy drive get a copy of dban and use that to "low level" format your drive. You can't actually low level format a drive anymore and dban will either fill your drive with random data(this is used for security puproses) or fill it with zeros(a "low level" format). The disk image for dban is located here http://dban.sourceforge.net/ . Also you can use dban off of a cd/dvd or a flashdrive.



Well it looks like you didn't create it as an extended partition. A hard drive can only have 4 logical partitions which are your windows and all your partitions for Ubuntu. You will have to use cfdisk to fix it. Ubuntu should have it you will also need to run it as root or you can use the Disk manager in windows to try and fix it. Here is how to run the Disk manager in windows:



Click Start %26gt; Run and type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line and click OK. The Disk Management snap-in will open. Then go from there.



Hard Drive won't appear in windows Gparted screwed me?comedy show opera theater



???
GParted is not - um - quality software.



I'd recommend formatting the drive and rebuilding your various OS installations.
As long as you have the Window XP installation disk you can fix this problem. I have done this about 15 time with my computers. Warning: you will need 1 to 2 days to do this. Start you computer and go into the setup or bios. Go to the startup order the set the first thing that the computer starts off of to be the drive that the windows installation disk will be in. Exit the bios, insert the disk and restart the computer. If you are prompted to press a key to boot of of the cd do so. Allow the computer to do its thing. follow the setup and select the trouble some drive and format, then install windows on it (important step). Partition as you wish. The whole instalation should take about an hour. Once windows is installed, set the boot order back to normal and install the rest of your software. If you have any questions, email me at upod08@yahoo.com
have you read this gpart recover partition page?



I found a drive that had some weird type of formatting on it. It allowed the previous owner to use the drive on a system that couldnt handle the drive because it was too big. So what this software did was create an overlay on the drive to trick the OS of the day into beleiving that the drive was the correct size. I couldnt do anything with that drive untill I found the overlay software to undo the special formatting. I assume that ubuntu has done something similar and ONLY ubuntu can repair or reverse it.



GPARTED DIDN'T SCREW YOU, YOU SCREWED YOURSELF



save what you can, format and reinstall, this time use the main operating system's FDISK utility to do your partitioning.



Next time, if you want 3 OS's use 3 separate drives



get rid of partition magic. DECIDE what your partitions are going to be BEFORE you install operating system

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd